Friday, July 7, 2023

Welcome to Skeleton Picnic!

 

Welcome to Skeleton Picnic, a blog about horror from someone who isn't into horror, but is willing to try. 

For the past several years now, I began blogging about horror books for kids. Mainly that of the series Goosebumps on account of it being tied to my early childhood trauma. It wasn't until I was much older that I read the books and covered them with my own brand of snarky blogging. I was also slowly branching into horror TV, but I don't feel it gelled as well as I had hoped for the blog. But it's something I still want to pursue. And now that I feel so ahead of what I've done with the book blog, it's time to finally start talking about horror in its visual medium. And thus, Skeleton Picnic was born.

For those curious about the title, Skeleton Picnic is tied to my relationship with Goosebumps and how the cover of Say Cheese and Die! scared me when I was younger, as did a lot of horror stuff honestly. Nowadays, it's probably my favorite Goosebumps cover and a driving force in me finally covering all of Goosebumps, as well as collecting for it. And now I think I can finally use this motivation to talk about horror media in other varieties. Classic kids horror, as well as other horror stuff I missed out on by not giving the medium a chance.  

The general plan for the blog is to do recaps of episodes of certain horror shows first, give my review on them, what worked and all, then when I've finished a season or a series, I return to cover it with a recap blog I've dubbed "Horrific Hindsight". If you've read blogs from me before, this is pretty straightforward. So, hopefully you'll follow along as I finally break from my scaredy-cat tradition and give horror a shot. So welcome again to Skeleton Picnic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dark Snarks #08: The Tale of the Nightly Neighbors

We open with Kristen positing the question about why they tell scary stories at night. Wouldn't the day be the same? To which everyone r...